2019年2月25日 星期一

Online teaching isn't as easy as you think





It's been about almost 5 years since I started teaching online with video lessons and via Skype.

It never has been easier as I thought it would be since the world of online business is changing and I have to constantly learn new things to improve the quality of my lessons.

Recently, I've got a couple of new challenges. 

One, looking for a quiet place for work and life.
Recently, I need to find a new apartment for myself, the one I'm staying right now which I've been living for 3 years is getting a bit loud for me. It's no longer a suitable a quiet place for online Skype teaching.  Even my students don't really feel so much about that, but I still decided to look for a better environment for myself.
A quieter place is better for me working on Skype and filming video lessons and a better place require more money which means I have to work extra harder!!

Two, people keep mailing me for FREE lessons or bargaining.
This makes me really frustrated since I've already offer so many good video lesson online. Teaching Chinese is my only income in life, I try to help people as much as I can. But I do need to offer my course with a reasonable price.
Many people mailed me said that they are poor or they can't afford my video lessons (the lowest rate on Patreon is 5 USD a month). I don't understand what kinda of people can't afford 5 USD a month but can afford electricity, a computer and Internet to mail a bargaining email to me?!

I've been feeling that I'm being used or being taken advantage of by those people who don't understand my handwork and don't value my profession. 

It's okay that people just watch my YouTube channel for free lessons. It's also okay that people think my courses are not good enough, not helpful so they don't want to join. 
But it's NOT acceptable that people think they can lower the value of my course and asking me doing free lessons for them. 

I'm very sorry that some people are just in a poor condition and can't afford my lessons, I'm really sorry about that, but it's not my fault that they are poor. I work very very hard to support my own life, I'm not rich!   Being poor is not the reason for you to take advantage of other hard-working people. 

In order to keep my online teaching career going, I have to work long hours, I have to switch to a more expensive place for work, I have to spend money to learn new skills, I have pay and get a upgraded web-page for my online school.  

So I guess I'm trying to say is...teaching online isn't as easy as people think it is. In face, I know that there are lots of jobs out there are more challenging than mine, and I do pay lots of respect for people who work hard to get what they want. 

Anyway, I'll try to ignore people who want to take advantage of me and my hardwork and focus on the people/students who really value what I do then try my best to give them the best quality of my courses.

Btw, don't forget to check out my platforms :)
Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/smartmandarin
Teachable
https://smart-mandarin.teachable.com/

SMART Mandarin 

沒有留言:

張貼留言