2017年9月21日 星期四

My Journey of Learning a New Foreign Language – German! PART 1


My Journey of Learning a New Foreign Language 
– German!
PART 1


- Katrina Lee (SMART Mandarin Teacher Founder & Teacher )


Ni hao你好 / Hello / Guten Tag ! J

Today I’m writing this post to share my experience of learning a new foreign language, which is the second foreign language in my life – German.

Warning: This post is going to be very loooooooong, and I will write different posts to talk about this huge topic, so be prepared and be patient on reading my journey of learning the language;)
Now let’s start!

Ok! So you mind be wondering, why do I want to learn the second foreign language since I know how to speak English already? Or why do I choose German among all the languages in the world?

Here are the answers!

Why do I decide to learn a new foreign language?

The answer is very simple!
I love speaking different languages; I’m always interested in learning many different new languages. I was actually growing up with 3-4 different languages in my early age. My mom speaks Taiwanese, Hakka and Mandarin. (Taiwanese and Hakka are the popular dialects in Taiwan) My dad speaks Mandarin and Cantonese. I picked up Taiwanese, Hakka, and Mandarin since I was young. But unfortunately, I didn’t pick up lots of Cantonese from my dad since he’s too busy..or lazy to teach me. L ( I really wanted to learn, but my dad just doesn’t want to teach me..so sad..)  

My First Foreign Language- English

At the age of 13, I started to learn English in middle school, so English is the 4th language that I know in my life. I’ve been speaking, learning English on and off until now. And I can use this foreign language to communicate to people around the world. Now I’m using English most time in my life since I also use it at work.
Well….I know my English is not perfect, but I believe I’m good enough to handle most of things in life and work that I need. So I’m pretty satisfied with my English proficiency.  Haha…))) (btw, I’m still learning English from time to time. Just to make sure my English doesn’t get worse and also I like to learn)  

So now…I’m at the stage where I think I’m ready to learn a new foreign language, the 5th language in my life! Yeah!!!!!!
Actually, I used to learn French and Cantonese. It was about 4 years ago that I decided to learn French, since it’s quite popular! And I thought it might be cool to learn some French.

I Tried to Learn French But I Failed….  :(

I hired a French tutor at the time, she’s a Taiwanese, she’s very nice as a person. BUT!!!! She’s a TERRIBLE French teacher!! L
She was teaching tooo fast in class, and she always wanted to 
play games in class!!
I LOVE practices in class but I HATE playing games in class!!!!

Especially when I told her, I have NOT totally remembered all the sounds of French, it’s not a good idea to play any games before I remember or I fully understand things she taught me. It’s better just do more practices to make sure I fully understand. But she didn’t listen to me, just do whatever she wanted.

The worst thing was…she told me : “You’re a good language yourself, so you should learn FASTER in languages than other people!”

Do NOT put any of your students in any stereotypes!!! 
She really made me feel pressure learning French, and made me feel stupid because I didn’t learn fast enough. L

You know the rest of my story…I gave up! I said 再見zàijiàn (goodbye) to this teacher. Then I stop learning French.  ( Tschüss....French……)
The idea of learning a new languages has never stopped in my head, I just didn’t know or haven’t really decided what’s my next language…..

WHY GERMAN LANGUAGE ?


-----------To Be Continued---------- 


SMART Mandarin 
Katrina Lee

- Online Audio & Video Chinese Lessons
- Skype Lesson

Contact : smartmandarinchinese@gmail.com

沒有留言:

張貼留言